Wednesday, December 14, 2011

K stands for TORNADO!

Well, after all the great responses, I feel like I should post again. I'm liking the "me" time that it creates and the peace within these walls to just let my thoughts flow through my fingers.  So, today I thought I would talk about my middle child.  If you know us, then you know that I often call her my tornado. She is a force of energy that leaves a path of destruction in her wake!  After my first child being so "easy" (not that his infant time was anything but easy) it has been a real adjustment to keep up with child number 2, K. Don't get me wrong. She is a wonderful child, full of excitement and wonder. My mother-in-law always marvels at how she THINKS she is watching K non-stop, but she always seems to find things like her potatoes in her shoe closet after K is gone!  These things make me laugh because I am constantly finding things in strange places and, more frustratingly, NOT finding things where they belong!  You see, K is a "hunter/gatherer".  She finds bags, buckets, doll strollers, etc to walk around the house and put things in.  Anything really. She isn't picky. I haven't figured out any reasoning to her selections, though I am confident that in her mind there is one.

K is too smart for her own good ....and not interested in academics AT ALL. We recently moved and had to withdraw K from a WONDERFUL christian preschool where she was loved and treated with the type of kindness that she THRIVED in.  I have felt extremely guilty about this as there is no other program around for three year olds that isn't government funded and requires a low income, for which we just don't qualify! I can't drop off the kindergartener and still make the 30 minute drive to drop off K at the great preschool and then do it again in the afternoons. Its too far and someone would always be late. I thought I would be able to get over the guilt by "homeschooling." I put my very best efforts into daily activities based around a letter of the week. There were lessons in science, social studies, letters, numbers, etc. It was a great program to follow. I put a lot of effort into this. It is now Christmas and despite giving it my all, K still only names 2 letters, though she can sing them. She can count to 20 but recognizes none of them.  However, my little tornado can color better than my 5 year old, use scissors like a pro (including on two shirts ), and paints the most beautiful pictures because of her color choices.  I just decided that I have to find whatever motivates her. She won't learn the other things until she finds a reason that she needs to know them! This, I suppose, will only come with time. That's why a preschool program would do her wonders. She would see the other kids learning them and be jealous--or at least I think/hope that is what would happen....

So, having let my guilt go and renewed my efforts to work with her in small amounts on the "not-so-appealing" letters using VERY appealing paint, shaving cream, etc. Afterall, she can start in the pre-K class next year at N's school. I determined that she is going to be ok. Until last week....

We had to take A (child number 3) to the doctor AGAIN.  We were in the waiting room and K was playing with another little girl.  When it was time to leave, I told her to waive goodbye to her friend. I was promptly told (loudly, as this is the only volume the child knows), "She isn't my friend. N (child #1) is my friend!"  Oh...embarrassment and horror all at once. After making amends to the poor child, I walked away with my head spinning. THE CHILD NEEDS FRIENDS!  Of course we have kids her age at church, but they aren't very close and don't go to school with her. I don't work so there aren't any daycare kids.  We literally live IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE so there aren't any kids that I know of.  Where do I find kids for her to play with???? I tried the local park with no real success all summer. No good. I tried at N's school, where I have met great difficulty meeting anyone to speak of!  So, new mission: Find K friends!  I have researched gyms in the area and have found two that have afternoon tiny-tot gymnastics classes. I hope to have her start in January. The little tornado is going to learn to flip. So now I'll have a FLIPPING TORNADO!  Whoo hoo!  But thats ok. I'll take my tornado and her flipping friend anytime.

And now my little tornado is under my elbow saying, "Mom, I wanna paint...Can I paint?  Hey mom....can I paint. I wanna paint...MOM!"  Gotta go!

1 comment:

  1. Gotta love our "tornado's"! I'm having the same kinda difficulty finding friends for J. He's two and loves to be around other kids and after moving here in Aug, there weren't any openings at our congregation's Carpenter's Kids and I haven't met a whole lot of stay-at-home moms here yet either so, it will take time but, better to enjoy the times we have with our little ones before they know (or think they know) more than their momma's! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete